Tuesday, November 6, 2012

It's about hard work.

I have never been one to take the easy way out of things. While I would like to, it just doesn't seem fair to bend the rules to make my life easier. Throughout my life, I have struggled with my weight, mostly due to depression. I've gone up and down on the scale but I've never quite been able to control it, until now.

But, I'm not talking about my weight loss struggle. I'm talking about applying yourself and following through. I recently saw on my Facebook feed that someone was going in and getting a consultation for a medical weight loss procedure. Totally fine, right? I am all about people bettering themselves. If you feel that it is what you need, then go right ahead. What pushed me over the edge was what I saw next. This person then went to a fast food place for breakfast and checked in on Facebook. Seriously?!?

First things first, a medical procedure should be a LAST RESORT when it comes to weight loss. For instance, my former mother-in-law has tried everything under the sun when it came to weight loss. She was like me, up and down on the scale, and finally, later on in her years (I won't reveal her age), she got a lap band. And she is successful because she knows how to do it right. She knows about nutrition and she has lost a tremendous amount of weight and kept it off. And she deserves this. She is an amazing woman and looks hot! (You go gurl!)

If a person isn't putting forth the effort in the first place to lose weight, then they will not be able to keep it off even after a medical procedure. It is about HABITS! Sure, a lap band will make you eat less, but if all you eat is junk, then you aren't going to lose weight. It's about the right type of calories! 300 calories of vegetables and protein are used much differently than 300 calories of a cheeseburger.

And yes, I know I have no room to talk but I work hard to lose my weight. I know what I need to do and I do it (or sometimes I don't). But, a person must apply themselves to lose weight and not take the easy way out. A medical procedure will not change habits. While it might change someone's weight temporarily, if a person isn't willing to change their lifestyle, then they will fall into the same trap.

If taking the easy way out was actually the best choice, I'm sure everyone would do it. The truth is, it may seem great in the beginning but it always comes back to bite you in the butt. I probably don't know the whole story about this person but if I can do it (like I am doing now), anyone can do it.

*end rant*

No comments:

Post a Comment